As a consumer, you could probably live your life without needing to know there are different types of carrier bags available - after all it's just the thing that keeps your nice new purchase dry in the rain. But as a business owner you're going to need know the jargon in order to make an informed choice.
- Punched or patched handle carriers - the handle punched into the top of the bag making these bags better suited to lightweight goods. For extra strength a patch of polythene is added to reinforce it
- Flexiloop handle carrier - stronger than a punched handle but still a cost-effective option, the handle is attached separately
- Twisted string or rope handle - separate string or rope handle gives this carrier a slightly more upmarket look and raises the price too. Can be made from paper or plastic
- Duffle bag - a more modern shape bag with a big capacity, popular for making a younger, more stylish impression
- Counter bag - used for 'first contact' with food for sandwich shops, butchers, delicatessens etc, made in paper or polythene