Tips for success
- If you don't have the right experience, make sure that you get a very experienced officer in charge
- Reserve the right to refuse entry. Nothing will kill off your business quicker than one unruly child who bullies others. Parents, who see their child coming home unhappy every night, will soon move them to another nursery.
- Get the fees paid upfront and make sure that parents are paying all year round. Most nurseries allow parents to book three to four weeks holiday which do not have to be paid for, but otherwise they should pay to reserve the place.
- Track all the enquiries you get to see how effective your marketing is.
- Insurance is a must have for you the children at your nursery. As well as standard cover, consider the loss of earnings if a bug hits the nursery.
Martin Pace at the Greenhouse Childcare consultancy
Tel: 01293 775556 or via e-mail at email@example.com
The largest agency in the UK for buying, selling and valuing nurseries
Tel: 01484 681314 or email Info@dowlingkerr.com
Directory of UK playgroups and nurseries searchable by postcode and town http://www.nurserysearch.co.uk/
The Department for Children, School and Families
Research reports available on the subject of childcare. www.dcsf.gov.uk
National Day Nurseries Association
National childcare charity, which promotes quality childcare and education for all children in the early years.
NDNA encourages providers to follow the Quality Assurance accreditation scheme and offers guidance on good practice. The Association provides support and advice with access to local and regional networks and promotes opportunities to share information and good practice.
NDNA advises central and local government as well as Early Years Development and Childcare Partnerships and the media on care and education in day nurseries and provides a national voice on the care and education of under eights in day-care centres.
NDNA offers training and support programmes, and also provides information and guidance to parents on choosing day-care.
Nursery World magazine
Subscriptions cost £48 for a year online or subscribe by phone.
Tel: 01454 642480 or e-mail NW@cisubs.co.uk
Managing Your Nursery
A practical guide for nursery professionals
Ruth Anredski and Sarah Nicholls £6.99 published by Nursery World available from
Starting A Nursery
A practical guide for early years professionals
Martin Pace £8.99 published by Nursery World available from